for student accommodation of the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung
version dated 30th June 2015, in accordance with the Board´s decision on 30th June 2015
Based on the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung´s articles of association in the version dated 3rd December 2014, with particular reference to § 3 para. 2(b) of the articles of association, the following policy for the allocation of student accommodation is decided.
The policy lays out criteria that will, through the rotation of occupants, enable as many students as possible to take up temporary residence in the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung´s student accommodation, with all applicants being given equal treatment.
§ 1 Application procedure
- Applications for temporary residence in the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung´s student accommodation for the duration of a course of study may only be made via the online application form accessible from the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung homepage.
- Applications shall be processed in the order that they are received.
§ 2 Residence entitlement
- The Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung provides temporary accommodation for students
a) at the universities, technical universities (technische Hochschulen) and vocational schools (Fachschulen) in the Federal Land of Berlin,
b) at the universities and vocational schools (Fachschulen) in the city of Potsdam, and
c) at the Technical University of Applied Sciences Wildau.
The above persons are entitled to residence if they are
a) studying for a Bachelor´s or Master´s degree or
b) studying for an equivalent higher education qualification
c) undertaking doctoral studies and have not yet completed their course of study.
- Overseas students temporarily at the aforementioned institutions in the Federal Land of Berlin or the city of Potsdam or at the Technical University of Applied Sciences Wildau as part of a state or university exchange or special study programme are also entitled to residence.
- The applicant must provide the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung with proof of their entitlement to residence in accordance with the preceding paragraphs 1 and 2 at the earliest opportunity, and no later than 3 weeks after the beginning of the semester, in a suitable form (usually by presenting the original copy of their current enrolment certificate or an equivalent proof of commencement of study).
- The total period of residence in the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung´s student accommodation, including any previous periods of residence in other similar institutions providing students with accommodation, is limited to 14 semester. At the discretion of the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung, this period may be exceeded by a maximum of 2 semesters in particular cases of hardship on the basis of a written application with an explanatory statement. The same applies where the total period of residence is exceeded as a result of compulsory semesters for examinations. The reasons for granting an extension of the period of residence shall be laid down in writing by the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung.
- In the event that no applicants fulfilling the criteria in the preceding paragraphs 1 and 2 are available, and under a time limitation, accommodation may also be let to
a) applicants undertaking a preparatory language course in Berlin or Potsdam or
b) other individuals in training (e.g. apprentices, interns)who have moved to Berlin or Potsdam as a result of their training.
Proof of enrolment to the training course, intership or language course must be provided in the form of a written contract or course confirmation. The period of residence is based on the duration of the course or intership set out in the contract or confirmation provided.
- To ensure cost-effectiveness, in particular in the event of an imminent vacancy, in addition to the persons mentioned in the preceding paragraph, accommodation may also be let to staff and lecturers of the institutions mentioned in paragraph 1, as long as this does not jeopardise the provision of accommodation to the persons mentioned in paragraphs1 and 2. Available accommodation may only be let to this group for a limited time, and at the longest, up until the end of the following semester (31st March or 30th September).
- If the overall demand for accommodation is so small that it is not possible to let all accommodation, new short-term tenancy agreements may be concluded, or existing tenancy agreements may be extended up until the end of the following semester (31st March or 30th September), even if this means exceeding the original tenancy period.
- Where accommodation units are intended to be occupied by several persons, entitlement to residence may be extended to children, partners and carers of persons entitled to residence in accordance with paragraphs 1 and 2 upon a seperate written application.
§ 3 Grounds for exclusion
- The following applicants are not entitled to residence:,
a) those primarily in employment and undertaking work liable to social security contributions or gaining a regular income from employment, and whose income exceeds 2.5 times the maximum needs stipulated in § 13 para. 1 (2) of the German Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG),
b) those who have had a previous tenancy agreement with the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung terminated,
c) those who have already rented accommodation from the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung and who have rent arrears or against whom termination proceedings have been initiated,
d) those who have already rented accommodation from the Bürgermeister-Reuter-Stiftung, or another similar institution providing students with accommodation, for the full permitted duration (§ 2 para. 4).
Berlin, 30th June 2015
gez. Wolfgang Huber
Chairman of the Board